The village of Engreux, at the confluence of the two Ourthes
at the confluence of the two Ourthes
Engreux is located in the fork made by the two branches of the Ourthe river, where they join, and it is famous for its wild beauty. It is inserted as a prow on a headland that is circled by the steep slopes of the double valley. In 1242, Engreux became one of the four county towns of the county of La Roche. Its high Justice court whose house is still there was presided by the mayor, who was assisted by seven aldermen, by a clerck and a sergent. His powers enabled him to sentence somebody to death by hanging at a gibbet. The Anthony of Padua Church was built in 1845 for substituating a chapel built in 1717. It is enlighted by very nice stained-glass Windows and it has a Way of the Cross that was painted on a canvas in 1860. Below the Church, there is "la fontin, de Djâke et Les Batch", a cascade of five communal watering places for the inhabitants of the village and for their herds. Below, "Li r⤙pôswar dol procèssion d⤙amon Lamborelle." Several walks (12 kms that are marked) from the Tourist Office of the confluence of the two Ourthes leave from the village for criss crossing the countryside and making you discovering every corner of this wonderful country. One of the walks leads to the rock called "Li cresse di leu sau" which is high at least 80 meters and that rises perpendicular over the river. It is one of the mosy beautiful view of the region. People say that its names comes from a princess who would have put an end to her unhappy love affairs by throwing herself in the Ourthe from the top of this rock. From there, we can admire this place that is wonderful and surprising with quiet where the Nisramont dam retains a lake huge 47 ha with 3 millions cubic meters of water. On the other side of the Church, there is a road that leads us to the mill of Spitanche, in the end of a woody gorge in an ocean of greenery, after having led us to the panoramic site of Cou des Monty. The mill of Spitanche was destroyed in 1944 by the Germans whereas it was used as a shelter by the members of the Resistance. There are only some ruins left of the ancient proud communal mill.